~ Cakes By Christine NY ~

Follow the drama I encounter with every cake order... along with everything else.


Monday, February 15, 2010

M&M Bridal Shower Cake, Fisherman's Cake and Teeth Cake for a Dentist...

Man, I've been so tired these days, I haven't been able to do anything else besides work, work and work.. First and foremost, Happy V-Day everyone. ( : This holiday is pretty irrelevent to me, not to mention quite annoying... Every place you go to is totally mobbed this day - and who wants to go eat at a restaurant? It's all pre-fixed menus and there's always a wait - even if you make reservations. I think V-Day meant more to me when I was just dating because you don't really "know" how much the guy likes you and when he does something special ON V-Day, you know he's into you. Kinda nice. But now that I'm married, everyday should be like V-Day, not just ON that day. Like I said, irrelevant.

Anyhoo... I made a bridal shower cake - they wanted an M&M because the bride's name started with an "M." Her favorite color is eggplant purple so we changed up the green to purple. And they wanted the m&m dolled up - long lush lashes, a veil with drop earrings - the whole shabang. They also wanted the m&m to sit on a box so I thought HEY! Why not an engagement ring box! It sound easy enough in theory but of course it was a pain in the a**. I couldn't position the m&m OR the ring so it didn't get in the way of each other. If the m&m didn't block the ring, the ring blocked the m&m. So I had to shave down the engagement ring, which I REALLY did not want to do. I wanted the ring to be like BAM! RING! But it turned out nice anyway and the customer loved it - which is the most important.





Afterwards, I got a last minute order for a man who was turning 68 and having a big party at a nursing home.. He used to be a fisherman so the theme was "fishing." I was told his favorite color was blue so I thought to myself GREAT - I'll do like a water/fish themed cake. So I drew up a couple of sketches and here's what I got.






Delivered it to the nursing home and I was MOBBED by all the nurses and patients. I started getting panic attacks! It was crazy! And best of all, the birthday boy was in tears... how sweet. He asked me to stay and have a slice of cake with him but I had to run so I took a raincheck. Haha...

And finally, the Teeth Cake. I love love love how this cake turned out. It was for my dentist - I've been going to him since 1997. Geez... that's a loooong time. Can I just say that he is the BEST dentist I've ever been to? He is such a perfectionist - so well trained and just... just a great dentist. And it helps that he's a nice person too ( :
Anyways, it was his birthday last month but I didn't have an appointment with him until this month. He asked for cupcakes and I thought that was a bit boring so I made him... a TEETH CAKE! ( : At first, I didn't know whether I should make a whole grill or just a big-ass tooth. I decided to go with the grill. Then the teeth looked lonely... so I added a toothbrush... Then it didn't look even, so I added the toothpaste. I actually wanted the toothpaste to be squirting out toothpaste but it was 5AM and I was shot... so we stuck with a regular toothpaste. In the end, I loved it and my dentist got a good laugh out of it.





This week - I got a fireman truck for a little boy's birthday - - I can't wait! : D

No comments:

Post a Comment